NEW TO MISSISSIPPI? USE THE LINK BELOW TO NAVIGATE THROUGH THE DEPARTMENT OF WILDLIFE FISHERIES AND PARKS WEB PAGE TO GET UP TO DATE INFORMATION ON LAWS RULES AND REGULATIONS ON FISHING HUNTING AND PARKS.
The Pike County Sheriff’s Office will be enforcing the states seat belt laws. Please buckle up!
McCOMB ANIMAL HOSPITAL IS SUPPORTING THE PIKE COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE K-9 UNIT BY OFFERING PAW PRINTS FOR A DONATION OF $1 OR MORE. ALL DONATIONS GO DIRECTLY TO THE PCSO K-9 UNIT.
SHERIFF COTTON, HIS STAFF, AND MAGNOLIA CHIEF HAVE A MEET AND GREET WITH SOUTH PIKE HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS.
SHERIFF COTTONS EMPHASIS ON TEEN DRINKING, TEXTING, AND DRUG USE
Sheriff Cotton is seeking to bring emphasis on teen drinking and driving and teen drug use. Pike county is in the top five counties in Mississippi with the highest fatality rate for teen drunk driving. Sheriff Cotton is launching a drive that will educate and mentor 10-12 graders at all area high schools on the dangers and consequences of driving while intoxicated. Sheriff Cottons drive at the high schools involved hands on training with the state Youth Highway Safety person, Tawni Basten, local high school guidance counselors, and Pike County Sheriff Office Resource Officer Shanks. Sheriff Cotton welcomes any organization that wishes to educate teens on these dangers.
Let your voice be heard. If you have not registered to vote or if you have moved, you will need to print out the voter application from the link below and fill in the information and either bring it into the Circuit Clerks office in the courthouse in Magnolia or mail it to :
Pike County Circuit Clerk’s Office, P. O. Drawer 31, Magnolia, MS 39652
PIKE COUNTY BUSINESS OWNERS
YOUR PIKE COUNTY SHERIFF OFFICE, WITH ALL EMPLOYEES, ARE DOING ALL WE CAN TO PROMOTE SAFETY AND A SAFE ENVIRONMENT IN AND AROUND YOUR BUSINESS, PROPERTY, AND HOMES. AS SHERIFF, I ALWAYS SAY, “WE NEED YOU AND WE WANT A GREAT WORKING RELATIONSHIP WITH YOU.”
OUR ENTIRE ENFORCEMENT TEAMS ARE WORKING TIRELESSLY TO REDUCE AND STOP CRIME IN THE PIKE COUNTY AREA. WE NEED YOUR HELP. LET ME SAY THAT AGAIN, WE NEED YOUR HELP. I NEED ALL THE BUSINESSES TO INCREASE THE SECURITY LEVEL TO PROTECT YOUR PERSONNEL AND PROPERTY. I NEED ALL THE BUSINESSES IN THE COUNTY TO GET A TRAINED ARMED SECURITY GUARD FOR PROTECTION AT LEAST DURING THEIR HIGH TRAFFIC HOURS OF OPERATION. WE ARE WILLING AND READY TO RESPOND TO ALL CALLS WITH THE LIMITED DEPUTIES. PLEASE HELP US HELP PROTECT YOU.
WHEN MAKING PURCHASES FROM ONLINE SITES LIKE CRAIGSLIST OR PIKE COUNTY BUY AND SELL, ITS ALWAYS A GREAT IDEA TO MEET IN A SAFE AREA. THE PIKE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE PARKING LOT IS WELL LIGHTED AND WOULD PROVIDE A SAFE AREA TO MAKE SUCH A TRANSACTION.
CHILD SAFETY SEAT PROGRAM
THE PIKE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE HAS A CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN FOR INSTALLING CHILD SAFETY SEATS. DEPUTY VINCE FERNANDO IS THE PIKE COUNTY SHERIFF LIASON OFFICER WHO IS CERTIFIED TO PROPERLY INSTALL YOUR CHILD SAFETY SEAT. PLEASE CALL (601)783-6767 TO SET UP AN APPOINTMENT. CLICK THE LINK FOR HELPFUL INFORMATION ON FINDING THE RIGHT CAR SEAT FOR YOUR CHILD CAR SEAT LINK
SAFETY TIPS – LATCH KEY KIDS
SAFETY TIPS FOR KIDS WHO STAY HOME ALONE.
Follow these safety tips for kids who stay at home alone:
- Children must be mature enough to be left alone.
- The target age will differ from child to child; both parent and child need to agree when this is.
- You must agree on the rules, and trust that the child can obey them.
- Having friends over, leaving the house, cooking are a few examples of rules to agree upon.
- Make sure your child has plenty to keep them busy while alone.
- Keep them to a routine.
- Wake up, breakfast, dressing and chores are a few examples of a basic routine to have your children follow.
- Be aware of computer usage in your absence.
- Use channel lock on cable TV for channels that may not be appropriate for viewing.
- Your child must know what to do in an emergency and be able to carry it out. If you are not sure that your child can handle a situation, such as a stranger or friend at the door, that child should not be left alone.
- If you have weapons in the house you must be sure that your child will not touch them.
- One child every 2 hours is killed in the United States with a gun.
- Weapons should always be locked up and unloaded.
- They must know the difference between TV and reality.
- Always keep the house key in a safe place, never out doors, and preferably not in sight.
- Never tell strangers that you’re child stays home alone. Let friends and family know that your child will not open the door without your knowledge and permission.
- Leave emergency numbers near the telephone and teach your child when and why to use them,
- 911, your number, neighbor’s number, family member’s number are examples of good emergency phone numbers to be left with your child.
- If you are going to be late let your child know. When you do get home make sure that you spend time with your child. Talk about their day, what is going on with them and how they feel. Your child should know they can be comfortable telling you anything. Your reaction will determine if they tell you anything in the future.
- If you are not sure about leaving your child alone, attend a Latch Key class with them and discuss it together. When you both feel the time is right, start out slow and work up to longer periods of time. Your child’s safety must come first and that is your responsibility.
- When disciplining your child, never tell them you will call the police or that the police will take them. In an emergency we want your child to run to us, not away from us.
SAFETY TIPS – PROTECTING YOUR PROPERTY
LEARN USEFUL TIPS FOR PROTECTING YOUR PERSONAL PROPERTY.
The Pike County Sheriff Office operates a Property and Evidence Section that takes in hundreds of pieces of property that was lost or stolen and has been turned into us. In many cases, the property or equipment has a serial number on it that identifies it. Unfortunately, if a citizen tries to claim the property and cannot provide a record or receipt that shows the serial number, we cannot turn it over to them. It is very important to keep a record of what you own along with the serial numbers or descriptions of your property.
Our Burglary Section also finds many security lapses in citizen’s homes when they go out to investigate a burglary. Inadequate door locks, window locks, exterior lighting, etc. are almost always a contributing factor to a burglary or theft. Securing your home is very important and, in most cases, can be done easily and for little money.
Interested in serving the public in the law enforcement field? Please click on the link below to print out the application. Complete the application and either bring in to us or mail it to :
2109 JESSE HALL MEMORIAL ROAD
MAGNOLIA, MS 39652
Stay tuned for the latest openings at the Pike County Sheriff’s Office!
Be informed! The following link will direct you to the Attorney General website with the new gun laws written in the fullest.
A more simple explanation was printed in the Clarion-Ledger. Click the link below to read the article.
If you are still confused about Mississippi concealed carry laws, click the link below.